The Algiers Courthouse, was built in 1896 on the site of the DUVERJE plantation home, which burned in the Great Algiers Fire of 1895. This fire destroyed over 200 homes and businesses from the river to Alix and Lavergne Sts. The present Courthouse is the third continuously used courthouse in Louisiana, and is the home of the Second City Court, and other city offices.
3. 307 Morgan
Oscar & Milton MARCOUR lived here from 1914-1916. Oscar (1895-1956) was a trained violinist and bandleader who frequently worked in bands with top musicians. Milton (1898-1961) was an active Dixieland pianist during the 20s playing with the Halfway House Orchestra, and in a quartet with Abbie BRUNIES, Buck ROGERS, and “Stalebread” LACOUME at the Bucktown Tavern.
Double back and turn left onto Bermuda St. then left onto Delaronde St.
5. 415 Delaronde
Bill EASTWOOD (1899-1960) lived here from 1900-1922. A member of Norman BROWNLEE’s Orchestra in the early 20s and later with the Halfway House Orchestra, he played banjo, guitar and saxophone. EASTWOOD was the business agent for the American Guild of Variety Artists later in life.
Continue on Delaronde, and turn at Larkin Park (Amann St.) then right on Patterson St.
2. 237 Morgan
The first home rebuilt after the 1895 fire, was the home of Emmett HARDY (1903-1925) from 1920-1923. Hardy, born upriver in Gretna, is said to have been one of the greatest cornet players. Louis ARMSTRONG reportedly called him “The King” after HARDY beat him at a “cutting contest.” By the time he died at age 22, he had toured with Tony CATALANO’s band, and played in Chicago with the New Orleans Rhythm Kings. He played in Davenport, Iowa, with Carlisle EVANS’ band, influencing the young Bix BEIDERBECKE. In New Orleans he played principally with the Norman BROWNLEE Orchestra, and was replaced by Johnny WIGGS.
Cross Bermuda St.
4. 407 Delaronde
Home to Norman BROWNLEE from 1912-1919. BROWNLEE (1896-1967), a native Algerine, was a pianist and bass-violinist. The Norman BROWNLEE Orchestra played in New Orleans in the 20s and 30s, and recorded on the Okeh record label in January, 1925. BROWNLEE moved to Pensacola, Florida in 1932 where he continued his musical career, and was the secretary-treasurer of the local musicians’ union.