History of Algiers Point
Algiers was initially granted to Jean- Baptiste Lemoyne, Sieur de Bienville, founder of New Orleans, in 1719. Originally, it was the site of the French settlement’s slaughterhouse and thus referred to as “Slaughterhouse Point.” The colonists also housed their powder magazine on the Point as Powder Street attests.The village grew rapidly – due in part to the Algiers/Canal Street Ferry which began service in 1827 and has been in continuous operation ever since. In the 1850s, the area’s railroad yard grew and flourished in the Elmira-Pacific-Atlantic area, eventually employing three to four thousand Algiers residents. The town of Algiers was annexed by the City of New Orleans in 1870. In 1904 Martin Behrman became the first Algerine to become mayor of the city. He served five terms ending in 1926.
Algiers Point has been home to many early jazz musicians including Papa Celestine, Kid Valentine and Memphis Minnie Douglas.