Holy Name of Mary

Holy Name of Mary

400 Verret St.

 

Built in 1929, this Gothic style church has over 75 stained glass windows, many imported from Germany.   The Catholic parish in Algiers was established in 1848 in a small wooden structure on Morgan St. In response to a growing population, the congregation then built at this location which had previously been a mid-19th century site of voodoo dancing as well as a post-Civil War prison camp.