637 Opelousas Avenue
In 1840, Mr. Smiley, a Presbyterian, began a Sunday school in the old Duverje plantation home. Algiers United Methodist Church was organized in 1844 from this Sabbath school and may be the oldest Christian congregation on the west bank of the Mississippi River within the New Orleans area. First pastored by a former sea captain, the church was called the Good Hope Chapel until 1847 when it was chartered by the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.
The first church building was located near the river bank on a site that was donated by J.B. and Alix Duverje Olivier. In 1857 the bargeboard structure was abandoned and a new building was erected at the corner of Delaronde and Lavergne Streets. The current structure was built in 1922, after that church was destroyed by the hurricane of 1915.